Guidelines, Rules and Eligibility
Who Can Enter?
The competition is open to all specialized business-to-business media written and produced in Canada in either English and/or French, regardless of association membership.
Editorial staff, contributors, freelancers, designers and people engaged in co-operative efforts with the publication may enter. They do not need to be full-time employees of the publication/or web site.
Creators must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (landed immigrant) eligible to work in Canada.
What Can I Enter?
Only material from publications dated from January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015 may be entered.
Website content will be evaluated live and may be archived with password access.
Written entries may be a single article or - where applicable according to the category definition - a series, provided a common theme and purpose is maintained. In the case of a series, the majority of articles must be published within the calendar year, but the complete series should be submitted for judging. Material published previously in any other publication or edition is ineligible.
A supplement is considered part of the parent publication even if the supplement is a stand-alone publication. Custom publishing is eligible. Advertorials are ineligible.
What Can I Win?
Prize money is intended for the creators. Gold winners in most categories receive a cheque for $500 and a Gold award certificate. Silver winners receive a Silver award certificate. All other nominees receive Honourable Mention certificates.
Multiple award certificates and cover seals are awarded to whole-book categories including Magazine of the Year, Website of the Year and Best Single Issue.
- Canadian magazine or magazine supplement is one at least 51% Canadian owned and published in either English or French or a combination of both.
- Original work which appears in the December 2015-January 2016 issue of a bi-monthly magazine is eligible, but not that which appeared in a December 2014-January 2015 bi-monthly issue. A single issue dated January or Winter 2016 (even if it appears on the newsstand or was delivered in December 2015) is NOT eligible for submission.
- Individual entries, written or visual, displaying advertorial and/or promotional content will be ruled inadmissible.
- Entries that include or consist of sponsored content are admissible provided they do not contain violations of the Canadian Magazine Industry Code of Reader & Advertiser Engagement. The CBM Awards and its judges reserve the right to disqualify entries that contain significant violations of these guidelines.
- Finalists will be proportionate to the number of entries submitted in a category up to a maximum of ten finalists.
- No entries will be returned.
- All submissions must be accompanied by permission, not for sale or profit, to use the entries of finalists in the CBM Awards presentation program, exhibit, and Web site, and to include any winning entry in perpetuity on the KRW Awards Web site a eBook. The CBM Awards reserves the right to use the entries of finalists in the Awards presentation program/exhibit/Website/eBook but not for sale or profit.
- Entries that do not conform to the rules or fit category definitions may be disqualified without notice. Entry fees for disqualified submissions will not be refunded. Categories with an insufficient number of entries to warrant a competition may be cancelled. Entry fees in this case, will be refunded.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
Each individual entry in each category requires an entry fee of $125 (early-bird by February 8) or $135 (regular by February 12).
Entry fees made be paid by a company cheque payable to Canadian Business Media may accompany your entry. If a company cheque is submitted separately from the entries a copy of the Master Form must be included with the cheque. Cheques-to-follow must be received by February 26, 2016.
Alternately, fee may be paid online with a credit card (VISA, Mastercard and American Express via PayPal) at www.paypal.com and SEND MONEY to
The submission deadline is February 16, 2016 at 5pm Eastern Time and all submissions must be received in online to be eligible. Hardcopies of materials (whole book categories) will be accepted until February 19, 2016.
Entries and cheques must be delivered to the Canadian Business Media at:
Canadian Business Media
2300 Yonge St #1600
Toronto, ON M4P 1E4